Stacy...Sensibly Insane


I have my own little world, but it's okay - they know me here.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Permission




My biggest writing block is that I’m a perfectionist. I want every word to fall on the page in perfect order, with perfect emotion, and with perfect clarity. Needless to say, it doesn’t. Sometimes it doesn’t even get down on paper because I can’t get it right.

There is however, a solution, but unfortunately for me, it’s not an easy one. The solution I’ve discovered is that I need to give myself permission to just move ahead. Believe me, it's not easy! Forcing myself to type in things like “the something or other house” or “she looked funny, describe later” and move on instead of staring at the computer for a ridiculous waste of time while I try to think of exactly what kind of house it is or how I can make that lady look funny is hard. Convincing myself that it is okay not to know the details right now is no easy feat but I’m working on it day by day and hey, I wrote ten pages on a piece I had barely looked at for a month because I was having problems with the next scene. So obviously, it works and not only that, I find that by moving on a few pages or paragraphs the details actually start coming to me and I can go back and fill a few of them in. And of course all this means progress! Yay!!


Now all I need to do is keep giving myself permission to write through the tough parts and keep going no matter what! Anything that needs to be filled in can be done later. The most important part is to get that story on paper!

As with everything, writing is a learning curve. The other day I read one of my earlier manuscripts from a few years ago and already I can see vast improvement, which gave me a moment of pride. A moment that gave me enough confidence to believe I'm on the right track.

I will be published and know the only thing slowing me down is myself. But I’m learning, both about writing and about how to take control of it. With each lesson learned and each page written, I get one step closer to my dream. And I believe that it will be sooner, rather than later, that you’ll be seeing my name in print!

Posted by Stacy Dawn :: 10:20 PM :: 6 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------