Stacy...Sensibly Insane


I have my own little world, but it's okay - they know me here.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Joke or Lesson?



So, needless to say with the rather scary events of the weekend, God and I had been doing quite a bit of chatting. Now, I'm not a traditional religious person. Not to offend anyone but I don't go to church regularly, though I do say my prayers at night, we did have our children baptised but no we don't talk about God much within the family though I have been thinking we really need to start because my husband and I both went to Sunday School as children. But I do try to live a good life and teach my children the value of kindness and charity, love and respect. I say all this so you don't think I'm preaching the Lord's word or anything because that's definately not how I am. But I wanted to share this because it came up this weekend. This was actually told to me as a joke but I like to think of it more as a lesson.

During a storm the river swelled up and started flooding this town. The water rose and rose until it was touching the second story of this man's house so he went up to the roof for safety.

A row boat passed by and they called to him to jump aboard. The man said, "No, that's okay. I know God is going to save me." The people in the boat urged again but finally had to move on because of the current.

An hour later, the water had risen to the edge of the roof. A ski-doo passed by and told the man to jump on. The man said, "No, that's okay. I know God is going to save me." Again, the ski-doo finally moved on because the man refused to get on.

A bit later the water swelled up to the man's knees as he held onto his chimney. A helicopter came by and threw down a rope for him to climb. The man waved the helicopter off saying, "That's okay. I know my God is going to save me."

So the water came up and the man drowned. When he was standing at the Pearly Gates he called to God. I believed in you. Why didn't you save me?

God looked down upon the man and said, "What more could I do? I sent you a boat, a ski-doo, and a helicopter."

Like I said this was told to me as a joke years and years ago but I take it more to heart than that by using it as a lesson. You see, it's not easy for me to ask for help or accept even accept it when given. For some silly reason, I feel I need to be strong, be the one to keep control, not show any weekness. Maybe it's because I lived on my own for so long before finally meeting my husband. Maybe that was the role I felt I took with my family, I don't know I could probably go to a psycologist for years before that's ever figured out. But the point is that times like this weekend (for some reason I like to think has something to do with the man upstairs) this story always pops into my head. I didn't tell my husband how truly worried I was with the excess swelling the second day but while talking about his upcoming shift and finding out if he went he would be working alone and therefore wouldn't be able to leave if it got worse and I needed him I had a choice. Continue acting like nothing was wrong when inside I was freaking out at the excess swelling even though the doctor said it was normal...or risk feeling like a fool and going back to the hospital where there was a good chance they were going to say the same thing. When my husband asked if I wanted him to stay home, I said, "No, no that's okay, I'm fine." When he asked again. I hummed and hawed and said "No, I uh, don't think so." When he said "Okay, but I need to know now because I'd have to call for someone to cover for me," I said, "Make the call." And boy am I glad I did. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I hadn't gone back to the hospital and got the severe allergy medication.

Just a thought to leave you with...
Posted by Stacy Dawn :: 11:19 AM :: 3 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------