Stacy...Sensibly Insane


I have my own little world, but it's okay - they know me here.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

What's in a Kiss?




When was the last time you really kissed your significant other? I don't mean just a peck on the lips on your way out the door or a simple good morning kiss over the morning coffee. I mean an honest, looking in his eyes, you are the one I've chosen, hands in his hair passionate kiss?

I'm on this topic because of a few small things that have come up in the last few days. One was watching what I still think is one of the best movie kisses of all time. I know most of you will laugh but I dare you to rent or get it and see for yourself. He lifts his hands to her face and slides them slightly back in her hair. He gazes into her eyes with a small smile tilting his lips. He moves in slowly, hesitating over her lips as if savouring the moment. He pauses slightly as if doing the gentlemanly thing and silently asking for that last bit of permission, then going in for the kiss and making it count from the first contact all the while holding her like he doesn't want to ever let her go. Sounds like a wonderful romantic movie? Nope, believe it or not its a classic guy movie with car chases and the whole bit but you know what? It's still the best kiss ever. The movie? Smokey and the Bandit. I'm serious. My husband put the video in the other day for my sons and I just happened to look up at the right moment. Wham...it was good.

The second was a music video of which I have rarely seen any for years. The song and the words and the pictures fit, just fit. But it wasn't the romance or the googly eyes or the kisses that caught my attention. It was a simple scene where they clasped hands. Handholding is an tender embrace when you think of it and the way they did it in the video was, well, magic. Weird I know, but I've always thought handholding was right up there with kissing in the intimacy standings.

The last was a conversation with a friend who is in a new romance. I know, your thinking well sure, a new romance is always more passionate. Yes...and no. For those like me who have been with their mate a while you forget what it's like back then. You wistfully remember the passion and the cuddling and the way he was totally focused on just you. But what we forget and I was reminded of was the awkwardness, the dips and turns, the trial and error of finding out what works and what doesn't, what you like and what you don't. (I am sooooo thankful I didn''t have to go through that anymore. ) Kissing came up in this conversation, basically that she wanted more of it. And I thought to myself, you know what? So do I.

All these reminded me that passion doesn't stop the moment you become exclusive, or the ring goes on your finger, or after the kids are born. Yes, it gets shove to the back--waaaaaay to the back--but you have to remember to pull it out once in a while, forget you are X amount overweight or that his hair is a little grayer. I'm extremely lucky, my husband likes me just the way I am, or he's an incredible liar. I'm not sure which one I believe but either way he still sets my heart a flutter with just a look. Unfortunately, more times than not I miss the look because I am too busy convincing my youngest he wants to use the potty so he can be a big boy and go to school, or answering the zillion and one questions of my oldest for the zillion and ten times, breaking up fights, moving the dog out from under my feet, trying to become a famous writer, and catching up on the sleep I've been lacking since the third trimester of my first pregnancy. Yet, now that I realize what I've been missing, I plan on paying more attention and for that matter, taking the time to kiss my husband soundly more often. I'm sure he won't mind ;)

So, next time you see your beau, take his face in your hands, look him in the eyes, dive in, and enjoy.
Posted by Stacy Dawn :: 9:12 PM :: 5 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------