Stacy...Sensibly Insane


I have my own little world, but it's okay - they know me here.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Which Came First, The Reader or The Writer




Were you a reader first or a writer? You would think the answer would be obvious but I was thinking the other day and realized that I was a writer first and a reader second. I know, I'm an odd duck.

I never liked reading in school. I never understood the word 'comprehention' until highschool. Back then, I was a slow reader so whenever we had to share books it was a nightmare and I would usually lie and say "oh yeah, of course I'm done that page too" meaning I had missed half of it. Then came highschool and ugh! Seriously, who chooses those books? BORING! Although oddly enough, I actually got Shakespeare--go figure. Like I said, odd duck.

It was far easier and much more entertaining to make up my own stories. It took me forever to fall asleep at night so I'd lie there and tell myself stories to help me pass the time. I wrote some down or kept a running serial in my head.

It wasn't until my second job after I finished school that I took up reading. I had to for the bordom factor because it was a brand new company, I was the only employee, and we hadn't established a customer following yet. Once I could pick my own books I soon came to the point where I couldn't get enough. That's when I started branching out and finding what I liked and what I didn't, listening to other's comments and reviews and really enjoying them. Now, it's rare that I don't have one sitting on top of the couch waiting for a spare moment and a TBR pile that goes up and down depending on the projects I'm working on.

Needless to say, my writing has greatly improved the more I read, that advice is definately true.


On this point. I read my first e-book the other day. It was for a review for Samhain Publishing which I will be posting on Monday. Interesting things these e-books. I didn't know what to expect but was very impressed with it's easy download and presentation. It would definately be easier on one of those little palm piloty things (oh yeah, way to throw those techi words in there, Stacy) than on a laptop which is really hard to get comfortable on the couch. But, at the same time, it was fabulous because of a little thing called zoom percentage. You know when your reading late at night and the words on the page start to shrink and get blury? With an e-book, you just up the zoom a couple hundred percent and BAM, the words jump out at you and you're sailing again. I loved that part.

Now, stay tuned to see what I thought of the book...
Posted by Stacy Dawn :: 9:42 AM :: 13 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------