Stacy...Sensibly Insane


I have my own little world, but it's okay - they know me here.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Interview



Earlier in the week, Mary had an interview with herself and suggested others have a go at it. So here's me interviewing me:

1. When the well runs dry, how do you recharge your creative spark?

Get away from it. I have the best ideas when I’m nowhere near my computer or not able to write things down. When I don’t focus on the work, I understand it better. I know, makes no sense to me either.


2. What is your motto?

For Safety Sake. It doesn’t have much to do with writing. I’m always double checking the diaper bag or adding extra clothes for a day trip just in case, extra first aid kit, water on hot days etc. Then again, maybe it does. I constantly double and triple check my work, addresses where I’m sending thing, editor’s names etc to make sure I didn’t misspell anything or goof up.


3. What fictional character is most like the person you wish you were?

Pride and Prejudice’s Elizabeth Bennet. She spoke her mind and came out with witty comebacks at the drop of a hat. The first proposal scene is classic, well, I guess the whole book is but that's my favorite part.


4. The biggest enemy of creativity is....

Me. I’ll get the coolest idea or think an idea is great then sleep on it and all the doubts come a rollin’ in. If I could just get past my own self-doubt, I’d probably get a lot more done.


5. My best ideas come to me when I'm...

In a crowd who can see me talking to myself and laughing at my own replies. Not pretty.


6. What is your ideal work environment?

Actually, I work best with the kids playing close by. I know, another oddity but it’s like I can relax better because I know exactly where they are and what they are doing so it isn’t weighing on my mind.


7. What accomplishments are you most proud of?

After actually going through with childbirth...twice, it would have to be my two stories with The People’s Friend. I only wished my mother-in-law who introduced me to the magazine had lived long enough to see my stories in it.


8. No one is better than I am when it comes to...

Wasting time.


9. I still can't quite get the hang of....

Aerobics. Coordination is not my thing.


10. The only thing I know for sure about the creative process is...

It’s very unpredictable. What you start with and end with might have similarities but they won’t necessarily be the same thing. You also might have patches of pure genius then weeks of nothing but crap.


11. What was your first job?

Cashier at Kmart. Oh wait, I did have a paper route.


12. Earlier in your career, how did you deal with people who tried to discourage you from pursuing your dreams?

Not very well. I usually believed them and it took a long time for me to set their opinions aside and focus on what I wanted.
Posted by Stacy Dawn :: 7:07 AM :: 16 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------