Stacy...Sensibly Insane


I have my own little world, but it's okay - they know me here.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Interesting Telephone Call



I wanted to share this while it was still fresh in my mind. I did my first tele-class conference call today. It was in conjunction with The Writing Coach class I mentioned and recently participated in being held by Jacqui Lofthouse.

The call itself was interesting with six British women and myself. When one said, "Oh, you must be the Canadian," I had the urge to tease and say, "But I'm not the one with the accent, you are" LOL. Anyway, the call dealt with procrastination and finding a way past our own personal road blocks that we set up.

The most interesting thing I came away with was Time. I always felt that I had to block a whole whack of time out, a big chunk of uninterupted time if I wanted to do my writing. So of course things would get in the way or I would find lots of smaller things to do there by giving myself another excuse to procrastinate.

This people is a myth.

Writing for simply a half hour to an hour will still get you anywhere between 500 to 1000 words a day. I have proof of this because I did it while working through her 30 day class on her blog, often accomplishing more. It's hard to rework your thinking, I know. But for instance, I can work for an hour first thing in the morning, getting my 1000 words in and still have the whole rest of the day for family and the other necessary things that need to be done. If you prefer writing at night, the same thing goes. Don't think that you will be up all night. Set a timer if it's easier and give yourself an hour, then treat yourself to your favorite TV show after or if you are lucky, go to bed. It's only an hour, or even a half hour if it's better for you.

The point is writing doesn't have to take up a lot of time but doing a little and often (as in simply a half hour or an hour every day), will help dissolve the procrastinating feelings and get that story written.

I know it's true because those last 20k on Time of Her Life over there, I did in 20 days doing it this way but it took me the wake-up call (pun intended) of the tele-class to put the ease of the processes in perspective. So if anyone is feeling overwhelmed, procrastinative, or not in the mood to write, give it a try and see how much more you get done doing a little at a time instead of thinking you have to do big chunks. For those with kids, take the hour when the kids are napping or after they have gone to bed, use a half hour while they do a puzzle or colour beside you. (You can check out my website under Mommy Writers if you need other ways to steal a half hour or an hour out of your day with young kids.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to check BELOW to see who won ESCAPE the Mondayn yesterday.

And I'll be posting the winners of The Theory of Love contest tomorrow!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Stacy Dawn :: 9:59 AM :: 13 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------